In-depth Analysis of Wildcard SSL Vs. Multi Domain SSL (SAN/UCC) Vs. Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL Certificates
The growing trend of utilizing SSL Certificates to secure websites, financial transactions, sensitive information, etc.… shows how SSL is playing an important role regarding web security. The list of trusted Certificate Authorities, i.e. (CA), such as Symantec, GeoTrust, Comodo, Thawte, and RapidSSL is the main vendors who are offering SSL certificates presently.
SSL certificates are offered in three types: (1) Domain Validation, DV (2) Organization Validation, OV (3) Extended Validation, EV.
The Wildcard and Multi-Domain SSL (SAN/UCC SSL Certificate) are additional features offered by various Certificate Authority’s (CAs) that provides users with some flexibility on their domain(s) being secured via SSL.
Wildcard and Multi-Domain SSL (SAN) Certificate Explanation
- Wildcard SSL Certificate – A Wildcard SSL Certificate allows users to secure an unlimited number of sub-domains – at a specific level – for one domain on one certificate.
- Multi-Domain (SAN/UCC) SSL Certificate – A Multi Domain SSL certificate allows users to secure multiple Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN) on one certificate.
SAN Certificate Vs. Wildcard SSL Certificate Limitations
- Wildcard SSL certificates (relating to any Certificate Authority) can secure an unlimited amount of sub-domains at only one specific sub-domain level. In other words, if you need unlimited sub-domain coverage at multiple levels (i.e. *.domain.com and *.sub1.domain.com), you’ll need to purchase an additional certificate.
- Multi-Domain (SAN/UCC) SSL certificates can secure multiple domains up to a specific amount (i.e. 100), depending on the issuing Certificate Authority. For example, GeoTrust and Comodo allow users to secure up to 100 multiple domains under a single MDC SSL. However, Symantec and Thawte only allow the user to secure up to 25 additional domains. They’re also called Unified Communications SSL certificates.
Buy Wildcard SSL Certificate for Multiple Servers
Install a single Comodo Wildcard SSL and secure unlimited subdomains on the multiple servers. It takes a few minutes for issuance and installation.
Please Note: Depending on the CA, some Multi-Domain certificates come bundled with additional domains by default. Typically, the certificates come bundled with 2-4 additional domains and if need be, you’ll have the option to add more for a small fee.
Wildcard SSL or Multi-Domain SAN/UCC SSL certificate… which one to select?
Selecting which certificate may be confusing without our help. Please see below for some suggestions depending on your particular situation:
- Users with 5 or more different sub-domains should select a Wildcard Certificate for convenience reasons, especially if you intend to add more in the near future. As for what validation type to select – Domain or Organization – this depends on how much online trust you wish to display to your visitors. If your website is a genuine business and engages in E-commerce, Organization Validation would be best!
- Users with 2 or more unique Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN) should select a Multi-Domain Certificate. If you’re running a reputable online business, selecting Organization or Extended Validated Multi-Domain Certificates would be highly recommended.
Common Differences between Wildcard & SAN (Multi-Domain) SSL
- You will not be able to use a SAN domain when using a wildcard certificate.
- The Multi-Domain SSL option allows the user to secure a wildcard domain. (Illustrated in Example).
- Wildcard Certificates are only available with Domain and Organization Validation.
- Multi-Domain Certificates are available in all validation types: Domain, Organization, & Extended Validation.
- With Multi-Domain SSL, users have the ability to add, edit, or delete additional domains throughout the certificate life-cycle.
Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate – The All in One Multiple Domain SSL Certificate
MDC Wildcard or Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate allows multiple domains or websites security with a single certificate on multiple servers. Unlike a multi-domain SSL Certificate, it will allow you to secure multiple numbers of domains (up to 250) and unlike a wildcard SSL certificate, it will allow you to secure the unlimited number of sub-domains of the multiple domains.
If your website carries a bunch of multiple domains along with their sub-domains and if you are wishing to secure them all with a single SSL Certificate, the Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL is the all in one solution.
Features of Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL
- Security of 250 domains and their unlimited sub-domains
- 256-bit Encryption with 2048-bit signature
- Unlimited Server license
- 99.9% browser compatibility
- Trusted by all operating system.
Top Multi-Domain SSL, Wildcard SSL, and Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL
Here are the Wildcard and Multi-Domain SSL Certificates with the different validation types listed below along with the different vendors offering them:
- Wildcard SSL with Domain Validation
- Comodo PositiveSSL Wildcard
- RapidSSL Wildcard
- Comodo EssentialSSL Wildcard
- Wildcard SSL with Organization Validation
- Comodo PremiumSSL Wildcard
- Thawte Wildcard SSL
- GeoTrust True BusinessID Wildcard
- Multi Domain SAN SSL with Organization & Extended Validation
- Comodo Multi-Domain SAN SSL
- Comodo Unified Communications SSL
- Comodo EV Multi-Domain SAN SSL
- Comodo PositiveSSL EV Multi-Domain
- GeoTrust True BusinessID Multi-Domain
- GeoTrust True BusinessID Multi-Domain EV
- Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate/SAN Wildcard SSL
- Comodo Multi-Domain Wildcard
- Comodo PositiveSSL Multi-Domain Wildcard
- Comodo Unified Communications UCC Wildcard
- GeoTrust True BusinessID Multi-Domain Wildcard
- Thawte SSL Web Server Multi-Domain Wildcard
- Comodo Positive SSL vs. Let’s Encrypt SSL
- Comodo Positive SSL vs. Essential SSL
- Comodo PositiveSSL vs. RapidSSL Certificate
- Comodo Positive SSL Wildcard Vs Essential SSL Wildcard
- Free Multi Domain SSL Certificate — Is it Really Possible?
Buy Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificates at Cheap Prices
Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL allows multiple 250 domains and subdomains on the multiple servers. Protect all your domains and subdomains with one SSL certificate.