Get the lowdown on the pros and cons of Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL certificates
In the sophisticated world of SSL certificates, it’s easy to get overwhelmed when browsing for options. There are endless certificate authorities (CAs), brands, validation levels, types, etc. — and each with a different set of features and benefits. Where to start? What to choose? So many questions!
It’s okay, just breathe. We’ve got your back. You’re clearly here because you’re debating Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL. Both present many — and different — advantages. We’ve broken down their advantages into four categories. These categories are some of the staple items you should consider when researching the best SSL certificate options for you.
Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL: Available Validation Levels
One of the starkest differences between Comodo CA and DigiCert is the validation levels they offer. There are three levels of validation in the SSL certificate world — extended validation (EV), organization validation (OV) and domain validation (DV). Here are the differences between the three:
- DV — Typically the fastest, easiest and least expensive option. Works for just about any site. However, it doesn’t evoke the most trust from users. It only validates the domain and all you need is an email address to obtain one. So, while the communication is encrypted and secured, your users won’t necessarily know if the company administering the website (you) is reputable.
- OV — The validation process to obtain an OV SSL certificate is a big step up from the DV SSL certificate. This process involves validating your business details. Therefore, your users will be able to verify who the company behind the website is. This certificate is typically popular with enterprises and ecommerce websites.
- EV — Considered the premium validation level. Achieving this level of validation involves the most stringent validation process. Your company name will be displayed in the browser. You’ll also have the best site seals displayed on your website. This certificate has proven to “pay for themselves” by increasing trust in consumers leading to a healthy increase in conversions.
What you need to know is that Comodo CA offers all three types of SSL certificates, while DigiCert only offers EV and OV. So, if you’re looking for the most variety when comparing DigiCert vs Comodo CA, then Comodo CA gets the nod.
Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL: Warranty
In the world of SSL certificate shopping, warranties must not be overlooked. They operate differently than your traditional warranty. Instead of replacing your SSL certificate, they act more as a type of insurance. If your customers’ data gets intercepted due to a CA failure, you’ll be financially protected from the damages based on the value of your warranty.
The main difference between DigiCert’s warranties and Comodo CA’s warranties is that DigiCert’s are usually much higher:
- DigiCert’s warranties start at $1 million and go as high as $2 million.
- Comodo starts $10,000 and also go as high as $2 million.
Bottom line, you’re going to get higher warranties more often with DigiCert.
For example, the DigiCert Standard SSL Certificate offers a $1 million warranty, while the Comodo PositiveSSL Certificate offers a $10,000 warranty.
Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL: Pricing
Pricing will always play a key factor in nearly any purchasing decision you make for any type of product, and SSL is no different. To save you time, I’ll get right to the point: Comodo CA is cheaper. Plain and simple.
- There are Comodo SSL certificates available for as low as $5.45 per year.
- DigiCert SSL certificates start as low as $157 per year.
Looking at certificates at the EV level:
- Comodo CA goes as low as $69.85 per year.
- DigiCert goes as low as $234 per year.
Purchase a Comodo SSL Certificate & Save Up to 86%!
We offer the best discount on all types of SSL/TLS certificates from Comodo CA and its sub-brands with prices starting as low as $5.45 per year.
Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL: Validation Process
The validation process is done by the certificate authority with input/cooperation from you. The purpose of it is to authenticate the identity of the person or business purchasing the SSL certificate. As we said in the validation levels section, the validation process varies by the type of SSL certificate you select. It can take anywhere from a few minutes (instant validation) to up to five business days depending on the brand and validation level.
DigiCert hangs their hat on providing the fastest SSL validation in the industry. This is something that’s generally accepted and supports their high standing within the industry. DigiCert can be as quick as a bowl of instant mac & cheese for an OV SSL certificate and can even crank out an EV SSL certificate faster than your crockpot can churn out a good roast beef (we’re talking minutes and hours here, people!). It’s impressive, without a doubt.
Looking at Comodo SSL vs DigiCert SSL as a whole, a few things stick out:
- When comparing DigiCert vs Comodo CA in terms of quality, both offer excellent, high-quality products.
- If time is of the essence, you don’t mind paying more and you’re looking for the highest warranties, then DigiCert is the call.
- If you’re looking for lower prices or a DV SSL certificate from a highly reputable brand, then Comodo CA is the right choice for you.