HostGator is a popular hosting platform (with an unfortunate mascot). Wildcard SSL certificates are X.509 digital certificates designed to encrypt sub-domains. Sometimes the two meet and one gets installed on the other. Maybe this is what you’re trying to do with what you might refer to as a “HostGator wildcard SSL certificate.”
As a note: It’s not actually called that, but that’s okay. Either way, this article is for you. In it we will explain how to install a wildcard SSL certificate on HostGator.
The HostGator Wildcard SSL Installation Process (in 7 Steps)
Here’s how to install a wildcard SSL certificate on HostGator:
- Purchase an SSL certificate.
- HostGator has its own certificate signing request (CSR) form, fill it out correctly and it will generate the CSR for you.
- Submit the CSR to your certificate authority (CA).
- Download the certificate and its intermediates.
- Upload your private key to the server (in a private folder).
- Fill out HostGator’s SSL installation form.
- Pay HostGator’s installation fee and wait for it to install your certificate.
Frankly, this is not a user-friendly model, but that owes to the fact HostGator is trying to foist a $120 wildcard certificate on you. We sell the same type of certificate for much less, which is why you shouldn’t pay HostGator any more than the installation fee.
Purchase a Wildcard SSL Certificate & Save Up to 80%
We offer the best discount on all types of Wildcard SSL Certificates. Our inventory includes wildcards from brands like Comodo CA, Sectigo, Thawte, and Symantec.
Ideally, HostGator will one day give its customers the freedom to install their own. But for now, if you choose to use their services, then you have to play by HostGator’s rules.
Or, you can find new hosting.
Either way, the choice is ultimately yours.