Tips to Move an SSL certificate from Apache to Windows Server
The multi-server SSL certificates provide a great advantage as it allows the users to utilize a single certificate for multiple servers. The certificate authorities (CA’s) have the provision so that one can move the SSL certificate from one server to another. Here, we have explained how you can move SSL certificate from Apache server to a Windows server.
There are mainly three steps involved to import SSL certificate from Apache server to Windows server.
- Converting the SSL certificate to .pfx format
- Moving SSL certificate to the Windows server
- Configuration of IIS websites
Step 1. Convert the SSL Certificate to .pfx Format
As you would probably know, for installing an SSL certificate on a Windows server, it is a must for it to be in a .pfx format. We have made this easy for you, saving your precious time. Use our SSL converter tool to create a .pfx file.
Step 2. Move the Certificate to Windows Server
Now that you have successfully converted SSL certificate to .pfx format, the next move is to import the certificate to Windows server. Here is our step-by-step guide for moving the SSL certificate to Windows server.
- Open Run from the start menu or simply press Win + R
- Type MMC in the box and press Ok
- Open the file menu and click on Add/Remove snap-in
- Mark the Computer Account option and click Next
- Click on the Local Computer and press Finish
- Go to the Personal Folder and right-click
- Select All Tasks and then click Import
- Press Next in the Certificate Import Wizard
- Select the Browse option and change the file type to Personal Information Exchange (/*.pfx;*p12)
- Now, enter the same password that you had entered while exporting the .pfx file
- Select “Mark this key as explorable.”
- Click Next
- Mark “Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate”
- Press Finish
Step 3. Enable the SSL Certificate in Windows Server
Once you are done with the importation of the certificate, the next step in line is to enable it on the Windows server. Here is how you can do it.
- Open IIS
- Right click on the website that you want to secure and select Properties
- Select the Directory Security Tab and then click on Server Certificate Button
- Now, click on “Assign an existing Certificate”
- Press Next
- Click on the certificate that you want to install and press Next again
- Press Finish
- Restart the IIS
Finally, SSL Certificate is now moved from Apache Server to Microsoft Windows Server.